[Ground-station] Upcoming channelizer test opportunity

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 03:57:11 PDT 2019

Later in the summer we usually have at least one tuning party for the 2GHz
and Up amateur radio contest. That would be a good opportunity to try on
air testing with this channelizer at microwave.

The way the test works is there is a transceiver just outside of near field
range. Minimum discernible signal and output gain are the two numbers
obtained. For the test it’s usually done serially, everyone using same
frequency, one at a time.

Channelizer wouldn’t replace that setup, but the event has lots of radios
all in one place on all kinds of amateur Microwave bands so we should try
and take advantage of it, assuming the channelizer will reliably work by
then, and that we can put an SDR up on a pole and at least receive with it.
5GHz and 10GHz are straightforward. Above that, we need more RF RX gear.

There is another similar event up in Los Angeles, around the same time.

So, if you have a local Microwave Group that does something similar, and
want to test a channelizer, let me know. At the very least would be a fun
paper for Microwave Update or GNU Radio Conference. And, an effective
amateur radio demo of polyphase channelizers in practice.

-mdt
--
-Michelle W5NYV

"Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis."