[Ground-station] Space WX Station and P4G Hardware Project

Scotty Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Sat Feb 2 12:17:41 PST 2019

I am working on new project for TAPR that will hopefully do multiple
duty as P4G radio hardware, Space Weather Station for HamSCI and a
general SDR for experimenters and academia. It is a modular approach
that pairs an FPGA-based Data Engine with multiple RF modules to perform
different tasks. Hopefully we can address some of the shortcomings of
other off the shelf hardware at a good price point for lots of
applications. Here is a block diagram of the first Data Engine (DE). It
can be one of several, depending on the horsepower required. (For
example, an SoC version can be built with an FPGA that contains a dual
ARM core and can run Linux on board.)

Here is an (early) block diagram of the DE so far.

Also attached is a block diagram of the SWS RX module, for reference.

Comments appreciated, as we are in the early phases of the design.
73, Scotty WA2DFI