[Ground-station] Baseband => decimation - questions

Scotty Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Sun Feb 3 20:35:35 PST 2019

Hi David,

The rate from the ADC to the FPGA can be mitigated somewhat by wider
parallel interfaces, but the method these days seems to be toward
higher-speed serial interfaces.

The lower-cost FPGAs typically have some number of LVDS (differential
pairs) that can run at anywhere from a few hundred up to 1Gbps. They
typically use 8b/10b encoding, so you get 8 bits and a recovered clock
out of the LVDS block in the FPGA at 10% of the encoded bit rate (like
100M Byte/sec).

The fancier (and higher speed) ADCs use high speed transceivers to send
the data at up to 3.12Gb/s (JESD204A) or 12Gb/s (JESD204B) speeds.
Transferring data at these speeds requires an FPGA with high-speed
transceivers, which are usually on the more expensive end of the
spectrum (especially if you want to run at 12Gb/s). The other thing to
beware of is that the higher-end FPGAs usually aren't supported by the
free version of the tools. Altera/Intel Cyclone V GX and SX families
have transceivers that run up to 3.125Gb/s, while the Cyclone V GT and
ST variants have transceivers that run up to 6.144Gb/s. All Cyclone V
parts are covered by the free tools. The "S" versions in the series (SX
and ST) are SoC parts that contain on-board ARM CPUs (either single or
dual core).

So we get boxed in by the required FPGA performance and the (usually
large) cost of the full version of the tools. It would be great if you
can find an ADC that is both affordable and that we can interface to a
reasonably priced FPGA. There are some amazing parts made today, but it
is a hard selection process with so many variables to consider.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI