[Ground-station] Paid personnel as operators or license grantees of Amateur Satellites

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Wed Apr 11 10:19:44 PDT 2018

Totally agree that not ALL cubesats should be Amateur licensed,
particularly military research, and commercial research, and some of the
'pure fundamental research.'  We have a handful of missions underway at
VT/Hume that are distinctly NOT appropriate for the Amateur bands (US
Gov and Defense Contractor related).  ITAR is a factor as well, while
most cubesats and cubesat related technology are no longer on the
munitions list (EAR instead), there are a number of factors that could
cause a cubesat to be restricted under the ITAR (for example, if the
cubesat is at all classified, if it is conducting a SIGINT mission, if
it has laser weapons on board, etc......it is controlled under ITAR).
While not specifically related to the 'pecuniary interest' parts of
Amateur Regulations, to me it seems pretty obvious, if you are doing
hardcore funded research for the gov't and your cubesat is ITAR (or
higher), Amateur Radio (either under Part 97 or Part 5) is probably not
the way to go.

That being said, the students we put to work on those kinds of missions
may have 'cut their teeth' so to speak and learned the fundamentals of
the technology working on missions that I think could fit with the
Amateur Service (Like the VCC scenario I presented).

In summary, I guess what I'm saying is just because its built and
operated by a University does /not/ automatically mean that Amateur
Radio is appropriate.

Contributing to this matter are the recent WRC-15 decisions:
http://www.arrl.org/news/iaru-revises-satellite-coordination-guidelines-to-align-with-wrc-15-decisions#.Wk42ARX5h9w.email

“The strong preference is for all satellites using spectrum allocated to
the Amateur and Amateur-Satellite services to operate under amateur
licenses and within the definition of the Amateur-Satellite service and
the service-specific Article 25 of the Radio Regulations,” IARU said in
announcing the change. *“The IARU believes the definition is
sufficiently broad to encompass nearly all educational satellite
projects that include giving students hands-on experience with
radiocommunication and are conducted under an amateur license*.”
[emphasis added]

Also this...."It will only coordinate a non-amateur satellite if an
administration directs in writing that it be operated in an
Amateur-Satellite band under an experimental or other non-amateur license."

Basically, my simplified understanding of whats going on, is that IARU
will continue to coordinate Amateur and Experimental Licenses in Amateur
Spectrum, but they prefer everything in the Ham bands to operate under
Amateur Radio licensing (Part 97 for US), and they've made it slightly
harder to get an experimental coordination by not doing it unless
'directed to in writing by the administration.'  Basically, I see this
as a diplomatic, but bureaucratic move.........FCC requires a letter of
coordination from IARU before they will provide an Experimental
license.....but now IARU requires something in writing 'from the
administration' (who I'm guessing is FCC) before they will coordinate
and provide the letter.........how do you get the FCC to write a letter
to the IARU if you don't already have a license because they require a
letter before they grant a license...........Chicken vs Egg Tactics!

Despite this, IARU seems to have widened the scope of an 'acceptable
Amateur satellite.'  Before I though the satellite had to provide a
service (more than a beacon, like say a digipeater, or voice
transmponder).  According to their wording as long as it gives students
'hands-on experience with radiocommunication' that is sufficient
criteria for Amateur Licensing, and they will provide a letter of
coordination.

So to me, it looks like IARU has made it /easier/ to get coordinated
under Amateur rules where education is a top goal of the mission, while
making it /harder/ to get an Experimental license.  In that case the
burden I believe is on the University (PI) to determine whether their
mission really is for educational reasons or is for
science/military/commercial/etc......and then pursue the appropriate
type of license.  The problem is, most PIs aren't Hams, and they aren't
down in the weeds on these issues, thus resulting in more reactionary
actions that muddy the waters ('oh ok, I'll just get an experimental
license, and not change out of the ham bands.....should be easy right?').

Finally, definitely agree that the 'pecuniary interest' parts could use
some clarification as well as the 'educational' parts. The terminology
is specific to 'teachers', but what about our graduate students.  They
are operating under Graduate Research Assistant (GRAs) and are getting
paid for their work.  No grad student has ever claimed to make 'big
bucks' as a student, and I think the money would be considered
'incidental' to their educational/research goals.  Same goes for a
number of other educational, not necessarily satellite related, projects
like high altitude balloons and such.

Thanks for the feedback, more is welcome and appreciated!

-Zach

Research Associate
Aerospace Systems Lab
Ted & Karyn Hume Center for National Security & Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Work Phone: 540-231-4174
Cell Phone: 540-808-6305