[Ground-station] Paid personnel as operators or license grantees of Amateur Satellites

Mike Parker airarray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:05:27 PDT 2018

Hi Bruce,
Your email strikes me as an example of the old saying, “no good deed goes unpunished”.
The last sentence which contains the phrase “the control operator may not be an employee of the sponsoring organization, whether or not he is being directly compensated for operating the station”  disturbs me on several levels.
In the interest of full disclosure, it could have affected me in the past (but no longer).  It certainly has the potential to affect getting future donations and support from companies who have many employees who are hams.

Certainly there must be  more nuance than the simple statement MAY NOT BE AN EMPLOYEE OF THE SPONSORING ORGANIZATION.

For example, suppose Boeing Phantom Works which makes cubesats should want to donate one to the amateur service (anybody from Boeing listening?).  Does this mean that a mechanic who works on their airplane assembly line can not be a control operator?  Seems improbable huh.
What if you own Boeing stock (an obvious financial interest).  Does that mean you can’t be a control operator?  What if your retirement fund owns Boeing stock, but its total value is very small?

I know this is not of interest to most of the group, so I will refrain from going into real examples.  But I would like to know if questions are being asked and answered with all the consequences considered.

73,
Mike Parker, KT7D