[Ground-station] Paid personnel as operators or license grantees of Amateur Satellites

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Apr 11 09:04:31 PDT 2018

This is a difficult issue. As I've commented to FCC, Part 97 doesn't
adequately state Amateur Radio's educational mission. However, some
University cubesats don't really belong in Amateur spectrum.

First of all, some are performing military research and while I doubt they
have been Amateur licensed, to do so would endanger the acceptance of the
Amateur service by foreign governments. This will result in their failure
to license their local people, and difficulty for dxpeditions. And then we
have the University cubesats that are Amateur licensed and do little with
the Amateur world but put up a beacon. Do they really belong in the Amateur
service?

Every University has a pecuniary interest in its own operation, whether or
not it is a non-profit organization. The one here in Berkeley costs over
$50,000 per year for in-state students and about $75,000 for out-of-state
ones, with tuition and other fees. Their non-profit status is a joke and
they operate mainly to educate the most economically fortunate. I lectured
on Open Source at the law school, Boalt Hall, last month. On campus it is
very clear that you are among an elite group.

However, one would think that satellite operation might require a higher
degree of diligence than we can legitimately expect of volunteer staff, and
thus I wonder what the problem of having them on salary is.

I think ultimately the definition of pecuniary interest should get some
work, and should be coupled with a requirement that the satellite is of
benefit to Amateur Radio.

There is no such effort going on as far as I am aware. If you want to get
changes in ITU regulations, that can be a 20-year effort (I've been there
with no-code). I'd support such an effort.

    Thanks

    Bruce