[Ground-station] Space Communications Conference - IEEE - Keynote Q&A and some SiFive documents

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 09:46:09 PDT 2021

I'm at the Space Communications Conference (IEEE) this week whenever
possible.

Today's Keynote : Chief Architect, NASA Space Technology Mission
Directorate “NASA Space Technology Mission Directorate (STMD) Technology
Portfolio” with Mark McDonald

In the Q&A, I asked how can open source software and hardware technology
better fit into the STMD.

See the schedule here:

https://spacecomputing.ecs.baylor.edu/schedule.php

Our question was asked and answered. Here's the summary!

Mark replied: “I don’t know who sent in this question, but they appear to
have been reading my emails”

And he brings up CoreFlight Software, which ORI tried to adopt and
maintain. NASA was reluctant. JSC picked it up to bring it up to human
rating.

Mark continues: The backup SW of Orion is written using CoreFlight.

“we are heading in that direction [of open source] very much”

Investments for autonomy have been looking at open source software for NASA.

The trend is towards open source, with some things being never open source.

Proprietary, contracts, etc. The usual, with open source handling
non-differentiating business functions.

“as much as possible shifting to open source”

I’ll ask the board to follow up with a nice letter to Mark McDonald? We can
emphasize regulatory work and that we were the ones that stepped up to
adopt CoreFlight when a juncture had been reached.

Also, I dropped by the SiFive (RISC-V) booth and picked up the attached
materials. Some great stuff here for RISC-V.

More soon - coming up next is our FPGA standup and a meeting with ARDC.

The SCC continues through Thursday.

If there is something you see on the schedule you want us to attend and
report on, please let me know.