[Ground-station] Sounding Rockets and FPGAs - at a University

Alex Wege axwege at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 14:46:46 PDT 2021

>>"Adapting to harsh and changing conditions quickly and reliably is a big
systems challenge for us. Is a sounding rocket the right entry point to
test this sort of work?"

I think this is an awesome idea! As a recent graduate of the University of
Minnesota rocketry team I can tell you it's difficult to build a perfect
telemetry system for a rocket -- especially supersonic ones.
They might even appreciate just running some adaptive coding and FEC blocks
like in DVB-S2 to improve link stability (assuming they ran into similar
issues).
That would also be an opportunity to test out (by proxy) the dynamics of
our adaptive coding system in a stressful environment.

On a less related note, I think our system would be perfectly suited for
any high altitude ballooning teams to experiment with -- that would be
really cool to see.

-KE0RYT