[Ground-station] Sounding Rockets and FPGAs - at a University

Thomas Savarino thomas.savarino at mac.com
Sun Apr 4 20:13:21 PDT 2021

I think that some meaningful work of integrating navigation and communication is possible here.  I got the idea from some email where someone said something about using the sounding rocket behavior for something.

I had two ideas for experiments
1. Attach cheap accelerometers to crystal frequency sources and measure the frequency drifts during rapid accelerations. This measurement could provide an error signal somehow to correct the main clock frequency in a system.
2. It might be combined with something else, maybe a 3DOF Inertial measurement unit that would measure accelerations and maybe autocorrect Doppler shifts that occur during a flight.
I suspect that these ideas are pretty old in some areas, like ballistic missiles, but getting it to work wouldn’t be that easy.
I think that some meaningful work of integrating navigation and communication is possible here.

So, there you go.

Best

Sent from my iPad