[Ground-station] Sounding Rockets and FPGAs - at a University

Jay Francis jayfrancis at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 09:32:32 PDT 2021

Michelle Thompson via Ground-Station wrote on 4/4/21 10:39 AM:
> If we were to propose an FPGA experiment on a sounding rocket (this is
> with a University), what would be the best experiment?
It's probably easier to get FCC STA licenses for sounding rocket
launches than orbital due to the limited duration.  I've done it a
couple times now for S-Band telemetry on vehicles.  This could be a way
to test very experimental modulation/protocols that might not be
approved for orbital operation.

Flight testing deployment of very small hardware (similar to Ambasat
size or smaller) may also be possible since there's no orbital debris
tracking issues.  It could be interesting to have a sounding rocket
deployment mechanism to test swarms of small networked "satellites".

Experiments flown on sounding rockets aren't necessarily only activated
in space (unlike cubesats).  They can be designed to run through the
whole flight.

The flight environment (acceleration, shock and vibe) of most sounding
rockets is a bit harsher than an orbital launch - be prepared for that,
or take advantage of it :-)

--Jay, KA1PQK