[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Apr 1 16:03:53 PST 2021

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:30 AM Pierros Papadeas <pierros at libre.space> wrote:

> We, as radio amateurs, need to seriously take a strong stance against
> LoRa unless Semtech is willing to lawfully allow an open SDR-based
> complete implementation of LoRa PHY.

We should be evangelizing all Radio Amateurs *by our own example* not to
accept hood-welded-shut technology. That is why we formed ORI in the first
place, why we worked on Codec2, why we successfully insisted that we should
be able to receive PACTOR I through IV so that we could police our own
airwaves without paying for an expensive device. We must be able to make
our own implementations without restriction, or we should not be using the
technology.

And from a practical basis, being constrained by intellectual property law
from being able to make a flying version that can work with cheap ground
chips successfully seems to be a pretty big technical problem. We would
have to deal with the problems that the ground stations don't: compensating
for doppler on both the uplink and downlink, improving S/N over the cheap
implementation, etc.

    Thanks

    Bruce