[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Pierros Papadeas pierros at libre.space
Thu Apr 1 15:30:09 PST 2021

Hey Jay,

We have been following tinygs and related developments, yes.

We have also been testing some of those semtech chips and they are not
*at all* suited for a ground station. Do not get confused by opportunistic
results, cause those are happening around the TCA of a pass since the
doppler effect is close to zero then. None of those chips can do
doppler shifting so they are not really good for our use cases (and
that's for LoRa.. don't get me started on support for other
modulations doppler shifted on those chips).

(for your reference, the equivalent satnogs baseline setup only
differs on the cost of a RPi+rtlsdr so less than 50 USD of difference)

And while I am at it, let me try to bring the point back home:
LoRa is currently used in space only because IARU and ITU tolerates
its usage (wrongfully imho) within the Amateur Radio Satellite service
(EA). If it wasn't for this then I would love to see those missions
take their chances on other services and ITU being happy with it (i.e.
not-gonna-happen)

We, as radio amateurs, need to seriously take a strong stance against
LoRa unless Semtech is willing to lawfully allow an open SDR-based
complete implementation of LoRa PHY.

Best,

~pierros

--