[Ground-station] Need advice on DVB-S2 modem

Ron Economos w6rz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 9 07:07:13 PST 2019

I've been using the Digital Devices Max SX8.

https://www.digital-devices.eu/shop/en/tv-cards/tv-cards-for-pcie/340/8-tuner-tv-card-dd-max-sx8-4/8-dvb-s2/dvb-s2x-full-spectrum?c=156

It can go down to 100 kSyms/s and can output raw bbframes. It's also
very tolerant to Doppler shift (capable of 30 kHz/s at 10 Msyms/s) . At
high bandwidths, you probably won't need LO sweeping.

It's supported in the Linux kernel starting at release 4.20. Plug and
play on Ubuntu.

It can also output raw IQ and demodulator IQ. Here's a video showing
demodulator IQ.

http://www.w6rz.net/sx8.mp4

It's a little pricey at 500 Euros.

Ron W6RZ