[Ground-station] Structural models - Help Wanted!

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:14:00 PST 2019

Searching for 6U models for frames.

There's several 3d models out there of 3U and 6U frames. The ones from
Pumpkin are very nice, but you cannot use them for prototyping unless you
use Pumpkin kit.

There's a model of a commercial 6U product that I converted to .stl. The
stp file was obtained from
https://www.isispace.nl/product/6-unit-cubesat-structure/ and then
converted to .stl.

I have found one 3U frame that we can start working with.

I put both of these models in the repo at
https://github.com/phase4space/payload-structural

There are some NASA models of 3U spacecraft, but they are are in LightWave
format (.lwo). LightWave is not free. There's an educational version. It's
faculty/student and also not free. There is no home or hobbyist version.

If you have a copy of LightWave and can export some models to .stp/.stl
then https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/cubesat-icecube and
https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/cubesat-mirata would be good for us to
study.

I have not yet found a model for MarCo. That is a 6U with reflectarray.
Anyone have any contacts at JPL they can ask? I will cold call them in a
few days if none of you turn anything up.