[Ground-station] Visalia and FT8

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:33:47 PDT 2019

As a first-time visitor to Visalia International DX Convention, there was
plenty to learn and observe. I enjoy contests and have been on two
DXpeditions. The HF beacon network upgrade reports, the Radio in a Box
initiative, and 6m propagation and solar research were all presentations
well worth the drive.

However, in my opinion, FT8 stole the show. The effect of this mode on
amateur radio is immense. The charts showing the rapid adoption are just
one part of the story. FT8 was brought up multiple times by a large
fraction of the presenters.

FT8 uses the same type of forward error correction that DVB-S2/X etc. uses.
Namely, Low Density Check Parity coding or LDPC.

FT8 is part of WSJT, and is open source.

Very few, if any, of the presenters were strongly opposed to FT8. Many were
enthusiastic in their embrace, operated the mode, and had seen great value
on dxpeditions when using it. Contesters described it as successfully
co-existing with traditional modes, despite some earlier concern it would
"ruin everything".