[Ground-station] Call for Comment and Critique - KA9Q-SDR readme

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Tue Apr 24 12:43:34 PDT 2018

On 4/24/18 07:07, Michelle Thompson wrote:
> Yes on the LICENSE file. We are GPL 3.0, and several people have pointed
> out that the source repo doesn't have one.

I'm fine with GPL 3.0 for ka9q-sdr.

For some library routines I've written in the past (like libfec) I
prefer LGPL to keep people from worrying that I'll claim control of
their entire commercial product because my Viterbi decoder is a tiny part.

I think the spirit of the GPL is that in exchange for making your own
code freely available, you'll get back bug fixes and improvements to
your specific code, or for contributions to that same code by others. So
for a complete or nearly complete package, GPL is fine; for low-level
libraries, LGPL.

I know this is controversial in some circles. Not trying to start any
arguments, just explaining my thinking so far.

Phil