[Ground-station] Call for Comment and Critique - KA9Q-SDR readme

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Tue Apr 24 00:50:20 PDT 2018

On 4/23/18 16:57, Douglas Quagliana wrote:

> Which file are the dependencies listed in?

In the file named "dependencies". Look in ka9q/ka9q-radio, not
phase4ground/ka9q-sdr. I created and began to revise the first before I
realized I'd created a private repository. If somebody can figure out
how to just rename the whole thing, I gladly will.

You know, "mv ka9q/ka9q-radio phase4ground/ka9q-sdr"

I also put stuff in phase4ground/ka9q-sdr but I have NOT been updating
it. I should probably delete it so it won't confuse people.

> Also, on Ubuntu 14.04LTS I needed to install libusb-1.0-0-dev and
> then it only gave an error on fftw3. The 'make' for fftw3 is taking
> longer than I thought.  :-)

Yes, that's on the dependency list.

Dependencies are always the first and most important thing you discover
when you put your code out for the first time. Even when people are
building it on nominally the same platform as you. When you're
developing, it's easy to install some package you depend on and then
forget months later that it's not part of the base system. I have a
pretty long list of packages I routinely add to every Debian Linux,
Ubuntu Linux or Raspberry Pi I have or maintain, starting with 'emacs'.
(Without it, I'm effectively unable to do anything else.)

Ubuntu is based on Debian Linux but they seem to be well behind; perhaps
a deliberate decision since it has a wider user base. I don't use it
myself often so I'm not as familiar with the version numbers but I do
know about their "LTS" releases.

If you have a lot of trouble on Ubuntu (especially if you find yourself
downloading and building a lot more library tarballs, which you really
shouldn't have to do) I'd suggest trying it first on the Pi. It doesn't
take as much to get a Raspbian platform that matches mine. Then we can
go from there and expand support for its siblings, then its first
cousins, then second cousins and so on.

My ultimate goal is to make my code just as ugly as any other piece of
open source, with just as many #ifdefs everywhere making it almost
unreadable, and a ./configure script of at least 3 megabytes.

Or I could just tell everybody to buy a $35 Raspberry Pi. Hmmm.

Phil