[Ground-station] Project Lead for Neptune?

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed May 22 10:16:36 PDT 2024

Greetings all,

We're looking for project leads for Neptune, our drone physical layer link
project. Hardware, software, and regulation are the major topics.

If you're interested in open source OFDM at 5 GHz, and want to target the
use case of drone communications, then this is a wonderful opportunity to
gain skills and make substantial contributions.

There is a solid base of existing open source work (in the Neptune
repository in our GitHub account), two peer-reviewed published articles in
QEX, funding, and the full support of ORI's board.

We need someone to lead this work. Duties include recruiting and supporting
volunteers to build a working prototype on the zcu102/ADRV9002 platform in
Remote Labs.

Requirements and specifications are well under way, but they are sparse as
of today. Simple and straightforward is good, but building a full
specification would be of enormous value.

We have membership in the P1954 drone standards body at IEEE, which will
provide a lot of input and opportunity concerning drone communications.
Subjects under consideration are adaptive links and frequency agility. Open
Source participation there makes a difference.

We have a substantial amount of input from several commercial drone
companies in both the US and Europe. We can consider ourselves to be
increasingly well-informed on the use cases that drone pilots are
confronted with these days. Let's continue to learn, succeed, and move
things forward.

An open source alternative is timely and needed, and we have both hardware
resources and a track record in this area. Can you provide some leadership?
Do you know someone willing to step up? Please get in touch.

-Michelle Thompson
ORI CEO