[Ground-station] Minimum Shift Keying Opulent Voice FPGA work - repository published

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 18:46:30 PDT 2024

https://github.com/OpenResearchInstitute/pluto_msk

Our minimum shift keying (MSK) transceiver work has been published on ORI
GitHub.

This is a transceiver for the Opulent Voice protocol. This is an FPGA
version. The target is the PLUTO SDR.

There is a long list of people to thank so far, including but not limited
to Matthew NB0X, Evariste F5OEO, Paul KB5MU, Oscar KP4RF, Jay Francis,
Prof. Sir Martin Sweeting, Wally Ritchie (SK), Franklin Antonio (SK), and
all of the members of the #opulent_voice channel providing support and
review.

MSK is a really neat modulation with a lot of highly desirable qualities
for space. There aren't many open source examples of MSK. This
implementation will provide educational opportunities, professional
development and enrichment, and is a big contribution to advancing the
state of the art in amateur radio.

As Opulent Voice comes together for more fully featured over-the-air
demonstrations, you will all hear a lot more about it. There are two big
opportunities for demonstrations next month (August 2024).

As you already know, this is our uplink protocol for our GEO/HEO
transceiver. Opulent Voice handles voice, data, keyboard, and control
packets all in one channel without having to do any clunky mode switching.

Please add the repository as a bookmark, spread the word, and get involved
by joining #opulent_voice Slack channel and/or submitting a pull request.
This project is in active development and there will be frequent changes.
Work this week is focused on timing requirements and finalizing the board
level scripts that insert our custom block into the hardware description
language reference design that is used to program the FPGA on the PLUTO.

More soon!
-Michelle Thompson