[Ground-station] IEEE Information Theory Society co-sponsored events - Code of Conduct

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:26:40 PDT 2022

Greetings all!

We are co-sponsoring an event with IEEE Information Theory Society. On 17
March 2022 we will present "International Standardization for M17
Protocol". You can register for the event here:

https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/307302

We can't think of a better way to celebrate the inaugural M(arch) 17th Day
than by having a fun and informative event like this on 17 March.

Here is a message from the IEEE Information Theory Society about their
event policies and expectations.

"Conferences, workshops, and technical schools---along with the social
outings, events, and activities that are integral components of them---are
excellent venues for researchers and scholars who despite the inherent
hierarchical nature of the research community in terms of seniority,
advancement, contributions, and recognitions, often strive to build
communities of collaborators, and friends across seniorities, generations,
and institutions. On the other hand, exactly because of their less formal
settings, conferences, workshops, and technical schools along with their
associated social events can fall short of providing an inclusive,
welcoming, and safe environment for all.

In this context, we are encouraged by a cultural shift to making it safe
and supportive for all those who need to report violations.  We recognize
and acknowledge the importance of ensuring that the academic and
professional communities pay more attention, take note, and continue to
take appropriate actions. We remind every attendee to help ensure that our
 events do not become venues for abuse of power, harassment in any form,
(including but not limited to harassment based on race, gender, religion,
age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, or
gender identity), and/or bullying. We recommend our attendees to use common
sense, support each other, and create a safe space by speaking up against
and/or reporting any form of harassment or bullying.

We will also like to remind our attendees to review the IEEE policy against
discrimination and harassment and the IEEE code of conduct and follow the
suggestions and best practices for how to make the  IEEE Information Theory
Society conferences and venues safe and inclusive. The ITSoc BoG is
continually working on improving procedures to handle incidents and
reporting of issues.

Meanwhile, we are eager to help participants identify relevant help
services. We gratefully accept feedback from the community on policy and
actions; please contact the chair and/or any member of the IT Society
Committee on Diversity and Inclusion."

Thank you,
-Michelle Thompson