[Ground-station] Weekly Report 15 April 2022

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:58:01 PDT 2022

Greetings all! Happy Friday.

Link to report is:

https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/blob/master/Management/Weekly_Engineering_Reports/2022/20220415-project-report.md

Please submit a PR to add or correct, or send me updates directly and I'll
get them in.

-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=

## Project Report

### Plan for the Week

#### FPGA Work

FPGA Stand-up held on 12 April 2022. Link to a video recording of the
meeting is below.

https://youtu.be/sg8l2IZoRU0

##### Downlink Demo for DEFCON

We're now changing the modcod on the fly, over the air, with the PLUTO
build.

SR-1 Pro has been added to the lab. DecTek boardsets are operational.
Receiving DecTek on the SR-1 stalls at the transport stream. Subject matter
experts are looking at it.

##### HDL Coder (target M17 Uplink IP cores)

Bitstream successfully created three different ways, and all three ways
fail in testbench simulation after the bitstream is loaded. Operator error
or misconfiguration is suspected. Tech support called in to give advice and
the entire network setup has been double-checked. We're not far from
FPGA-in-the-loop capability through MATLAB.

#### Potential IMS2023 Participation

IMS2023 is the IEEE International Microwave Symposium. It will be held in
San Diego in 2023. We have an opportunity to demonstrate our work in the
amateur radio activities portions of this very large event. We can and
should submit papers as well. Now is the time to start looking at
participating. This will be a very welcoming and enthusiastic event for our
project and teams.

#### AI/ML Working Group activity

The AI/ML working group meets on Wednesday, and will continue
deliberations.
We co-chair the AI/ML subworking group on "Safe Uses of AI and ML" and that
kickoff meeting is Thursday.
We have nominated Aeva Black from OSI as an outside resource.
We have nominated Dr. Piero Bonissone as a guest speaker.
These nominations are proceeding.

"Safe Uses of AI and ML" kickoff meeting was a success, and ORI volunteers
will be involved in contributing towards reports and advice that will go to
the FCC TAC. The TAC advises the US FCC.

Two additional speakers were contacted and invited to share their views in
upcoming committee meetings.

#### Taxes Underway

Our Dark Horse Accounting accountant is on the job and has everything he
needs so far in order to complete the work.

#### Government Grant Committee Formation and Charter

As previously discussed, we need to dilute previously received large grants
down a bit in order to stay a public charity (also known as a 501(c)(3)).
Anshul Makkar has agreed to be a lead of a Grant Committee, responsible for
searching out and defining government grants our work and mission is best
suited for.

#### Technical Track at Ham Expo September 2022

We have the opportunity to hold our quarterly technical advisory meeting,
which often features a list of speakers, at Ham Expo in September 2022.
This would be a half-day track.

#### Technical Assistance

We've been asked to provide software programming support for an open source
DVB-S2 project, and have agreed to provide this support.

#### Enclosures for Multimedia Beacon

We now have five enclosures for multimedia beacons. Here's a short video
tour:

https://youtu.be/DsBvXMD1ZG8

Thank you,
-Michelle Thompson