[Ground-station] Call for Input - meeting with legal team about ITAR/EAR results

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Sep 9 11:52:43 PDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:54 AM Robert McGwier via Ground-Station
<ground-station at lists.openresearch.institute> wrote:
> In fact, they are not, but then they have the burden of trying to follow the regulations with no regular legal assistance to keep them out of trouble.

Bigger fish than AMSAT were not able to do it. Chris Anderson
explained to me how important Open Source was as their ITAR strategy
in the early days of 3D Robotics, which was a lot better funded than
AMSAT. And Dronecode remains important to 3DR and several others to
this day. We also had all of the browser makers using the same
strategy so that they could have encryption, before the rules on that
were loosened. This strategy did not come out of a vacuum, and while
ORI the first to do the legal paperwork to do it in space, to our
knowledge, we weren't the first to use it in space, and were far from
the first to use it elsewhere.

    Thanks

    Bruce