[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Howie DeFelice howied231 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 23:40:25 PST 2021

I’m not a patent expert but it appears the first one listed covers the generation of spread spectrum “chirps” using a fractional N synthesizer. The other patent covers the  data formatting and modulation scheme. Assuming we have to stay away from those two aspects, we could still use chirp spread spectrum, just not generated the same way. The biggest advantage to chirped spread spectrum from a satellite operations perspective is that it’s inherently resistant to doppler issues. As long as the signal is in the receiver bandwidth and you can detect the direction of the chirp you can decode the signal.  Using a chirp spread spectrum physical layer into a an adapted 802.16 mesh network configuration could provide a way to have satellite augmented ground networks (or vice versa) without having to have a planned constellation of satellites. If every new LEO carried the transponder, the network would automatically form and grow.  When satellites are visible to each other traffic would also be repeated satellite to satellite. If the frequency plan was compatible to QO-100 transatlantic relays could be possible into the QO-100 footprint.

Howie AB2S