[Ground-station] How we talk about encryption can hurt us

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 20:36:09 PST 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:26 PM Peter Laws N5UWY via Ground-Station
<ground-station at lists.openresearch.institute> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 7:08 PM Bruce Perens via Ground-Station
> <ground-station at lists.openresearch.institute> wrote:
>

> > We should not be talking to the public about how important it is that we
> can encrypt commands to our satellite. We should indeed be minimizing the
> degree that this is necessary at all. By doing otherwise, we feed those who
> would like to expand the use of encryption in the Amateur Bands, and
> ultimately we do damage to Amateur Radio.
>
> AREDN guys are the ones that are *really* intentionally blind to this.
> "What's wrong with going to an https site over [terrestrial] AREDN?"

I agree that minimizing the need for encryption on amateur bands is a
worthwhile goal, and with pretty much everything said so far except for
this.  The Internet is very quickly becoming SSL everywhere. Unless you're
ready to just say no to any interconnection between amateur radio and the
Internet at all, this is one you're going to have to get used to.

73
Mark Whittington - KA8I