[Ground-station] AMSAT "Don't Rock the Boat" rule

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Apr 20 16:48:51 PDT 2021

ORI is an AMSAT member organization, and I submit that ORI should file a
written objection to the proposed AMSAT "Don't Rock the Boat" rule.

Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com>
4:44 PM (1 minute ago)
to AMSAT
The proposed modifications to the bylaws of AMSAT include a provision for
the secretary and the board members to deny membership renewal to any
member or member society. This is included in Article 1, Section 2. The new
rule is:

Section 2. Applications for membership or renewal as Member or Member
Society shall be submitted to and in the manner prescribed by the
Secretary. *In the case of any applicant whose character, reputation, or
conduct might make him or her an undesirable member, the Secretary shall
refer the application to the Board of Directors (the "Board") for review;
in all other cases, the Secretary shall have the authority to grant
membership.*

Obviously, this is aimed at the folks who dared to challenge the board (and
win) in a democratic election, and of course me, for daring to campaign for
them. It is a fact that many non-profit boards have never learned about the
fact that there *should* be contentious elections - that's what democracy
is about. They just see them as a threat. So, here's a rather undemocratic
rule which allows them to purge opposition, so that they will not be able
to vote in the next election.

Because the board doesn't want you to interfere with their addition of this
rule, they have required that you register any objection to this, and other
new rules, by writing a letter on paper and mailing it with a stamp.
Objections you post to this list and the AMSAT BBS are useful for
discussion and I encourage you to do so, but the board will not count them.

--
uce Perens - Board Partner, OSS Capital LLC Venture Capital