[Ground-station] Monday! M17 Project uplink work

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:24:50 PDT 2021

Greetings all!

Derek Kozel has an early work in progress that could make a big difference
to what we do. He's repackaged the C++ M17 de(modulator) as a library and
is working on GNU Radio blocks.

https://github.com/dkozel/m17-cxx-demod/tree/cmake-refactor

https://github.com/dkozel/gr-m17

This work will more easily allow a transponder transmitter demo with live
signals at an upcoming event (DEFCON + Ham Expo tentative).

We've been talking on Slack about how to better define the function of the
Generic Stream Encapsulation. If we can get M17 protocol uplink received
and then transported back down on the downlink in GSE frames, then we have
a compelling demo.

Want to work on this and own a part? Let me know. The FPGA team is making
some big strides here! Getting live data through the blocks, with a
protocol from a project we sponsor (M17 Project is sponsored by ORI), will
be a very positive step forward.