[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Apr 6 11:43:04 PDT 2021

> 1) We do need to articulate a position about LoRa that makes sense and
> provides constructive paths forward.

First, we need to be clear what application the position is regarding.
Inter-satellite links are at most going to be between a community of
satellites entirely controlled by Amateurs but potentially built and
controlled by separate organization. So, it might make sense to define
something that can be duplicated for decades by Amateurs, not dependent on
any particular component. We also need to define its purpose. An
inter-satellite link would have reason to be *high *bandwidth, to carry
traffic between two different illuminated areas. A control link would have
reason to be low bandwidth and ultra-reliable. There is also the potential
for geosynchronous satellites to provide full-orbit communications with LEO
satellites. Not all of these are the same radio.

LoRA as a terrestrial device is an entirely different application, and the
only reason we need to be able to say anything about it.

My impression is that the FossaSAT-1 mission _did_not_ prove the concept of
LoRA for practical space communications. So, its first deployment on an ORI
mission should be a pathfinder rather than part of the mission purpose of
the satellite.