[Ground-station] FCC comments on Debris Mitigation

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:02:14 PDT 2020

Greetings all!

Open Research Institute  has filed comments with the United States Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) on the Debris Mitigation rules proposal.

The proposed rules have the potential to greatly affect amateur,
experimental, scientific, and educational payloads.

Comments are attached.

Another set of comments from an open source space consortium that includes
projects like Applied Ion Systems will be published shortly.

Comments from ARRL and AMSAT are expected as well.

The big deal here is that international treaties have forced the issue of
debris mitigation. We all want less debris in space because we want all
orbits to be sustainable and not ruined with wreckage. If the gradient of
grunge continues, then we won't have access to space.

Figuring out how to ensure non-commercial access given the context of
massive commercial constellation deployments in the "new space race" is
tricky. Speaking up for amateur radio is important!