[Ground-station] AREx Technical Team meeting - update

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 08:48:55 PDT 2020

Here are some notes from the AREx technical team meeting today. Next
meeting will be 9 April 2020.

I reported in on our efforts to model the Gateway orbit. We have a
wonderful volunteer introduced to us by Steve Conklin who is working on a
model. Also, Achim from AMSAT-DL will be in touch with me with state
vectors he found on the internet that worked in GMAT and seemed to give
reasonable results. In between those two things, we should have a very good
open source model moving forward. We (ORI) have a meeting this Friday about
orbit modeling and I expect to be able to release some initial results for
review over the weekend.

This model will help recruitment (animations are awesome!) and also ground
station development.

Second, I asked about VLF and UVLF receivers and magnetometer plans. This
question was well-received and ARISS is very open to proposals that will
include VLF/UVLF/magnetometers. This needs description and design and
volunteers to create a solid proposal. A fundamental requirement is that it
needs to be Very Small.

The VLF/UVLF/Magentometer question came from the community.

Third, I asked for and got approval for GSE to be included in AREx.

MPEG is not the only transport stream for AREx, support for and interest in
GSE is large enough, and the specific benefits are appreciated.

Finally, there is immediate need for Program Management, Systems
Engineering, and Fundraising leads for AREx. There is continuing need for
the rest of the roles and responsibilities for AREx. To apply, prepare a
resume and be available for an interview. Frank Bauer does not intend for
these jobs to be full time. They do involve multi-year commitments.

ORI has written a letter of commitment to JAMSAT (with ARISS copied) for
Ground Station. JAMSAT meets 28 March to discuss their letter of commitment
to ARISS. ORI has committed to support JAMSAT on Ground Station
development.

Here's the top level list:

Program Management, Systems Engineering & Fundraising

Mechanical Systems

Electrical & RF Systems

Analyses and Algorithms

Software

Ground station

Operations Coordination

Communication and Outreach

Space Agency Safety Certification

Space Agency Engineering Requirement Verification

ITAR/EAR99 Compliance