[Ground-station] System Architecture (17 June 2020) - Review Request

David Vieira dpv at ieee.org
Wed Jun 17 12:29:11 PDT 2020

 Michelle, all -
My initial reactions reminds me, I was once involved with a commercial RFID link, written by a standards committee of Architects (and no designers / implementer ), that had:5 different forward link BW.   (separate filters, switches, gains, cost, size, etc.)8+ different Reverse link data Rates, multiple M Codes, etc.
I learned:a) Architects LOVE features that grow with binary weights.  And really LOVE even more binary options that multiple with other binary weighted features.(and why wouldn't they?  It naturally falls out of the thought process.  Very cool and exciting!)
b) It took enormous time and energy to implement and verify each mode.c) Adaption algorithms take extra energy above and beyond to implement and verify.
d) no one really wants to be adapt to the edge of a link budget.  The apple religion of "it just works" (always!) is successful for a reason.{---- even record breakers and EME experimenters will tell you how much extra link margin they had!}
and the kicker --->e) *Really 3 buckets solve the large majority of trade-off needs.  small/medium/large; slow/average/fast.  (you get the idea).
f) When implemented, even the architect on staff (coauthor of said voluminous standards doc), who had to support and make recommendations to customers --- ONLY used the edge cases to make his own life simple.  If you look at the math, he only used a small subset of the A*B*C*D*E available options.
My $0.02KI6CLA