[Ground-station] Gateway Technical Questions - modes move out of payload to ground

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 12:40:03 PDT 2020

>From the Zoom call (join here for the next hour or so):
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88273732233?pwd=VG4wbVdLS0JzT05na2VqdnlDOWJodz09

Going to just start doing this most every day for office hours so we can
get more done together.

Question: Contingency Ops Up/Downlink: 70 cm band 435-438 MHz is listed for
Gateway. But, L-band has major advantages over 435 MHz. 10MHz for uplink at
L band.
______________________________
435 MHz narrowband downlink
L-band narrowband uplink
L-band narrowband emergency uplink
(L-band for emergency downlink ?)

Question: There’s a bunch of modes listed for “contingency ops”. They
include JT65, FT8, Olivia MFSK-16, and BPSK-31.

The EME modes are designed for EME. The others are designed for HF. FT8 is
a grid-exchange protocol with a really great FEC. But, it’s extremely
difficult to use for communications that are not grid exchange.

What can we say about the suitability for any of these modes at UHF and
microwave?

I have moved them out of the system block diagram for the payload. Attached
is rev 6.