[Ground-station] ARRL Eclectic Tech podcast

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 10:05:50 PST 2020

Go take a listen to the new ARRL Eclectic Tech podcast.

The first segment on the first episode discusses QO-100, then opines that
(North America) could have something like that, with maybe a transponder
rental. But it’s framed as requiring a corporate (commercial turn-key)
solution and just too expensive/hard.

This was somewhat frustrating to listen to. Way way too pessimistic. But,
the existence of this podcast is a positive step forward for ARRL, and
amateur satellite was the FIRST subject tackled. That’s very good!

We are doing what we can to get the word out about the work we do. We have
technical, financial, and policy progress. We actually have been offered a
transponder rental, very close to the sort of thing said on the podcast. I
guess our proposal didn’t come up in research for the article. It was sent
to ARRL hq when it was published, but ARRL has a big crew.

So, this week, take a bit of time and ping ARRL (and anyone else you think
should know) about what we are doing. ARRL doesn’t have to yearn for some
future work. The activity is going on right now, and some of the hardest
communications work has been done.

We have applied for an ARRL foundation grant for the transponder board set
build. I asked ARRL to write a supporting statement for the CJ request. We
are on the way and fully committed, and have included ARRL along the way.

I reckon, If they hear it from many voices, the message will get through.

Thank you in advance!

-Michelle W5NYV

--
-Michelle W5NYV