[Ground-station] Potential Phase 4 - Gateway interference

Wally Ritchie wally.ritchie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 13:36:26 PST 2020

One of the features of DVB-S2 is that Gold sequence are used in the final
physical layer scrambler. These are derived from an 18 bit number n. The
use of Gold sequences has the effect of reducing the correlation between
two signals which reduces the effects of co-channel interference.  It can
also be used to identify particular DVB-S2 sources.

By default, broadcast applications use a default n = 0 so that receivers
can descramble all signals without knowing the value for n. But for
applications such as ours, n can be set to a different value for each
DVB-S2 source to minimize co-channel interference. The ASIC chips we are
looking at have this capability.

When DVB-S2 receivers are validated, the validation involves both the
wanted signal and one or more adjacent and/or co-channel unwanted signals
at various power levels (as well the usual AWGN and clock phase noise
impairments). This is an important component in the process of "validating"
a receiver for an application, either in simulation or on real hardware.
When we talk about the performance of a receiver it is not just the
performance over a clean AWGN channel that is relevant but rather the
performance in the RF environment of the final system. So this is always
the caveat as well as one of the reasons that additional margin is almost
always required beyond theoretical link budgets, a fact that many find easy
to ignore.

I agree that it doesn't appear likely that we would have much interference
between LOP-G and GEO for reasons pointed out by Kent. However, it's not
too early to think about some band-planning. We have frequency re-use for
geo slots but LOP-G will follow the moon. We have 50MHz allocation up and
down (if we can hold on to it). This is not all one would ever need any
more than 640K is all the memory one would ever need. (I'm writing this on
a machine that is +50dB over that and servers processing it are another
+10dB over that).

As an aside, we might also want to consider Gold codes for the uplink. It's
relatively easy at both ends and it's likely they could improve adjacent
channel interference at little cost.

WU1Y