[Ground-station] Potential Phase 4 - Gateway interference

Leffke, Zachary zleffke at vt.edu
Sat Feb 15 09:59:39 PST 2020

We have an AOE undergraduate student (senior) working on building Gateway orbits in STK for exactly this type of modelling.  It’s a bit more complicated than just dropping a new bird in from a TLE database, especially with the unknowns in the specific Gateway orbit.  It starts with candidate NRHO trajectories built up in matlab.  Once that’s up to a workable simulation and has been vetted by some of our researchers that have more of an AOE background than me (like, PhDs in this stuff), I (and/or some of my ECE students) can use the Communications Toolbox in STK to model exactly this sort of thing.  In addition to the Amateur Radio work we hope to participate in for this sort of thing, having accurate Gateway orbit modelling available will be useful and important to a number of projects VT hopes to participate in related to the Gateway and Lunar missions in the relatively near future.

We had to do a similar analysis for ground to LEO to GEO interference in the 401 MHz band as part of a study to show we would not degrade the NOAA DCS geo transponder’s capabilities with three LEO 1U cubesats (and their associated GSs) operating in the same band in order to get our Part 5 licenses for the VCC mission.  There are ITU recs for this that help in the analysis method (the thresholds and limits and such may or may not directly apply, but maybe useful as a guide, we’re in a different service).  All very straightforward and easy to execute in STK, once the orbits are established.

It will be a while before the student is done developing his part of the simulations, but things are progressing well.  I wouldn’t see this as a path for a short term answer, but is something we can use to refine the analysis as the various 10 GHz projects progress and their mission specific details can be added into the simulations (antenna patterns, power levels, bandwidths of operation, etc.).  This type of problem is perfect fodder for AOE/ECE collaborations for undergrad students.  Don’t anyone hold your breath, but when we have something worth reporting we’ll shoot it out to the team.

Also, this does require multiple toolboxes that are in the ‘Pro’ version of STK, so reproducing the results will be difficult unless you are also part of the Educational Alliance program with AGI (we have access to the pro version for education purposes at VT, and for research).  Therefore, I highly recommend pursuit of the Python method (or similar) Michelle mentioned.  Eventually, people are going to need to figure out where to point their antennas and ‘the moon’ might not be accurate enough……figuring out how to track Gateway with FOSS tools will go a long way to stimulating activity and getting people on the air.

-Zach, KJ4QLP
--
Research Associate
Aerospace & Ocean Systems Lab