[Ground-station] Please vote - Ambasat sensor

Douglas Quagliana dquagliana at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 11:52:26 PDT 2019

Hi John,

The idea was to have a very simple crystal oscillator (perhaps a very
small milliwatt class amplifier) and an antenna
such that the oscillator's signal (with Doppler) can be detected on
the ground.  No data, just a carrier that a
ground station with a simple antenna and perhaps a FunCube or RTLSDR
dongle can detect.

The overriding principle is "keep it simple."  Generate just enough RF
output so that the oscillator's signal can be
detected on the ground -- and detection can be done at MUCH lower
signal levels than are needed to demodulate
a data signal. Ground stations know the frequency to listen at.  This
experiment would be placed on a short lived
LEO so that as the orbit decays and the spacecraft slowly spirals in
(over several months/years) the changing
orbit can be observed by watching the signal and it's Doppler
characteristics change over time.  It's not a very
interesting experiment at GEO where the orbit really never changes.

The whole experiment (except the antenna) should fit on postage stamp
sized circuit board, weigh only a few
grams, and pull just a couple of milliamps.  The frequency could be
any frequency in any amateur band
authorized for satellite downlinks.

I'm not sure what the specifications should be except that the
oscillator should be as stable as reasonably
possible within whatever the budget it, but if someone can help out
then let me know and we can
write the specification and propose it to be included as an experiment
on some future satellite.  The
experiment also needs a cool name.

Perhaps we should move this to another thread...  if anyone is
interested, please let me know.

73,
Douglas KA2UPW/5