[Ground-station] LoRa on our GEO sat ?

Tom Clark tom.k3io at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 22:06:05 PDT 2019

On 10/13/2019 6:56 PM, Mark Whittington via Ground-Station wrote:
> Might also be worth keeping in mind that there are LoRa modules that
> operate in US amateur 70cm space.  The 433MHz modules are for the
> European equivalent of the US Part 15 market but I'd assume we could
> use them as long as we're identifying properly.
>
> 73
> KA8I

Amateur Satellite 70 cm freq band is 435-438 MHz (world wide). LoRa,
wireless keys, toys, etc that use 70 cm are at 433 MHz, outside of the
satellite band.

LoRA transmitter power is limited (I believe the spec is under 100 mW =
+20 dBm). Please do the link budget calculation for LEO, and certainly
for GEO, and you will find that the received signal 📶 will be woefully
inadequate.

73 de Tom, K3IO