[Ground-station] Day 1 at Allen Telescope Array - Breakthrough Listen

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue May 14 21:05:46 PDT 2019

We don't have a booth at Hamvention this year. I was invited to be part of
the Breakthrough Listen event at ATA and could not in good conscience pass
up an opportunity like that.

We might have a booth at Hamvention next year, depending on scheduling and
priority. HamCation was a much better experience in terms of cost, quality
of the facilities, support from the organizers, friendliness and interest
level of participants, and the number of new members and supporters that we
gained.

I will be at Maker Faire for 2019 with a good number of Phase 4 Ground
engineering volunteers. We have a lot of friends that will be there, and
there's always a large amount of high quality ham radio. We'll be talking
shop and doing a lot of outreach.

Unfortunately, Maker Faire Bay Area and Dayton Hamvention are always on the
same weekend. We've spent the past three years in a row heavily involved in
Hamvention. Last year, we had a very successful booth, demos, meetings, and
gave two talks at Hamvention. We've dedicated a very large amount of time
to Hamvention over the past decade, faithfully serving several
organizations including AMSAT-NA.

Bruce Perens and others will be at Dayton representing us. If there is
something Bruce should know or do, then let him know!

Our next event is DEFCON. We're tentatively scheduled to be in the WiFi
Village to show our work. This is an event with a lot of amateur satcom and
a huge number of hams.

We are focused on HEO/GEO open source payloads (and ground systems) for
amateur radio. We cheer on anyone doing LEOs. It's just not our focus.
AMSAT-NA is not competition. All of our work is freely shared in order to
help all AMSAT organizations do a better job with modern digital
communications.

-Michelle W5NYV