[Ground-station] Baseband => decimation - questions

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Sun Jan 27 11:25:33 PST 2019

This is cool.  Ron maybe you can school me a bit here.....

1.  Got it with the Quadrature ADC, running at half the required rate,
but producing I and Q, so Nyquist is happy.....

2.  So you are saying the ADCs are clocked at variable rates? Here is my
major disconnect......with a B210 and UHD, I can request sample rates
(complex) from something like 200 kHz to 20 MHz (but have to make sure
the clock rate of the USRP divided by the sample rate requested is an
even integer).  I thought the ADC clocks ran at a fixed rate and then
decimation was performed in the FPGA, and that the 'even integer'
requirement was derived from the DSP going on in the FPGA (and integer
math being more computationally efficient).  It sounds like you are
saying that there is maybe a bank of acceptable pre-scalers that when I
request a particular rate, the appropriate pre-scaler is applied to the
master clock, and that is the rate the ADC is clocked at. Am I getting
that right?

Seems like there may be pros and cons to either technique.  With a fixed
ADC rate that is massively oversampling the input signal, can't we
achieve increased dynamic range?  For every factor of 4 oversampling we
gain 1 bit in ADC resolution, or 6 dB in dynamic range.  I thought this
was how the Ettus products worked and similarly how the Flex Radio
systems worked (with the FPGA handling the half-band filtering and
decimation to the desired output rate requested by the host computer).
I have no experience with the BladeRF or LimeSDRs.  I know in the UHD
source block you can tweak the clock rate of the motherboards, but
generally I thought that's how they worked.  I feel like there might be
another pro in there in terms of Aliasing and relaxed filtering
requirements when oversampling (images are farther apart)?  A con to
this technique I would guess is higher power consumption (ADCs running
at a higher rate and needing the pre-processing for the decimation).  If
the clock rate of the ADC can be controlled on the other hand, you would
lose the oversampling capability, but would decrease power consumption.
Seems like the hardware would have to be a little more complicated in
order to handle the multiply or divides to achieve the desired clock
rate (that I assume is derived from a reference master clock that is
higher than the ADC clock rate).  That control capability though is
probably not that much more taxing though in terms of power (just
picking the right prescaler).

Could it be that some SDRs use one technique (like the one I described,
massive oversample then decimate, maybe USRPs), and others use a
different technique (like the one you described, maybe BladeRF, LimeSDR,
etc.)?

If I'm roughly accurate in the above description, then isn't the
question Michelle is driving towards is what technique would we want to
use?  Presumably for a ground station implementation, power isn't a
concern (compared to the payload) and therefore it would be desirable to
oversample and have the added benefits of higher dynamic range.  In
other words, maybe the power consumption trade-off is worth it.  Then
again, maybe higher dynamic range isn't really necessary (only a single
downlink) and its not worth the added DSP complexity.

On the payload side, I would guess that having a higher dynamic range on
the uplink is actually desirable and worth the tradeoff in power
consumption.  I'm basing this on the assumption that if 1000 hams build
ground stations, the uplink powers will be wildly different and we may
need to handle very strong and very weak uplink signals, and thus a
higher dynamic range would be desirable.  On the other hand.....using
something like an AD9361 with 12 bits of resolution is 72 dB of dynamic
range out of the gate (maybe a little less when determining
ENOB).......maybe that's enough and oversampling isn't necessary.........

This is good stuff, I like learning new things.  Am I roughly getting
this right or am I out in left field some where?

-Zach, KJ4QLP

Research Associate
Aerospace Systems Lab
Ted & Karyn Hume Center for National Security & Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Work Phone: 540-231-4174
Cell Phone: 540-808-6305