[Ground-station] FreeDV QSO party, FreeDV GUI as a starting point for P4G?

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 07:41:48 PST 2019

[I think Michelle was asking about UI and/or feature design, not
implementation, so sorry if this is a topic tangent.]

Very cool, Bruce.  In my early SW days, I was taught the ideal of
portability.  That was one of two things that caused me to take up
Python almost 20 years ago.  Java wasn't as portable as Python at that
time for the problem I was looking at.  I haven't done a serious
examination of Java recently, but Python still impresses the heck out
of me regarding portability.  I tend to work with various camps of
folks, some on Linux/Unix, some on MS Windows, and some on Mac.  I
wrote some software recently that talks to a usb device (yeah libusb!)
with a PySide GUI.  I used it with a Linux box.  My colleagues used it
on MS Windows, Mac OSX, and even Raspberry Pis.  Without recompiling
or compiling.  Even more recently I wrote some software that talks raw
ethernet that runs cross platform on MS Windows and Linux.  No
recompiling or compiling.  The portability avoids sooo many headaches
and lets folks use what they want or need to use.  I love being OS
agnostic, even if some of the OSes are evil empires.  :-)

Replace PySide with PySide2 with Python3.  Add in some standard
libraries like socket and struct, and 3rd party libraries like
pyserial and libusb, and it's super easy to talk to all kinds of HW.
IPython is part of the C/C++ SW stack, so can implement mixed if need
be no problem.

But, I haven't pushed my portability to handsets/tablets.  That might
be interesting.   So, the SW arch you describe got my attention.

Best regards,

Drew
kb9fko