[Ground-station] FreeDV QSO party, FreeDV GUI as a starting point for P4G?

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Mon Feb 25 19:41:26 PST 2019

On 2/25/19 16:59, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Phil (and anyone else who wants to be aware of the bleeding edge in
> codecs), be sure to read the Wavenet and LPCnet postings:
> http://www.rowetel.com/?p=5966
> http://www.rowetel.com/?p=6465
> http://www.rowetel.com/?p=6482
> http://www.rowetel.com/?p=6599

Codecs are a bit of a black art to me, but it's good to see them
continually improving. We should probably require (a free) one as an
interoperability baseline, but it must also be easy to add others and to
select arbitrary bit rates up to whatever the modems can support.

Transcoding (conversion from one lossy format to another) is to be
avoided at all costs, so it must be especially easy to keep adding new
decoders to whatever applications people use for decoding.

Phil