[Ground-station] FreeDV QSO party, FreeDV GUI as a starting point for P4G?

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:04:49 PST 2019

6 kb/s isn't really where I'm looking at for us. We need something more
like 20 kb/s. The 6kb/s choices still sound bad to me. It's just still an
inferior experience at 6 kb/s.

I think WhatsApp uses something on the order of 26 kb/s. You can clearly
hear the other person, immediately recognize their voice, and speak with
them for hours without any fatigue. That's what we should be enabling or
even providing in a reference design or reference application.

Opus at 20 kHz bandwidth (I think it's their 40+ kHz sampling rate) might
fit the bill. If Opus had something higher, then that's even better.

-Michelle W5NYV