[Ground-station] FCC comments filed for 3 GHz, and an open question for an NPRM at 5 GHz

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 13:30:01 PST 2019

Open Research Institute filed our 3GHz band comment with the FCC and it's
live at: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/1211716424260

There's another NPRM at 5GHz.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-360940A1.pdf

This does not appear to threaten the allocation we intend to use at
5655-5665 MHz.

However, this NPRM does address the Amateur Service.

"57. For the same reasons we tentatively conclude that C-V2X devices will
not cause harmful interference to FSS uplink operations in the 5.9 GHz
band, we also tentatively conclude that it is not necessary to adopt any
restrictions on U-NII-4 devices to account for the existing non-federal
users of the band. The expected unlicensed device use cases which primarily
involve delivery of Wi-Fi signals, along with the distance to FSS
satellites in geostationary orbit should protect FSS uplink operations from
harmful interference. We nevertheless seek comment on whether any targeted
rules are needed to ensure the protection of incumbent FSS uplink
operations. If so, what types of sharing technology or techniques would be
appropriate and what are the cost implications for manufacturers, vendors,
and consumers? We also believe that our proposal to apply the existing
U-NII-3 power rules to the 5.850-5.895 GHz band will
protect co-channel secondary Amateur Service operations from harmful
interference. We seek comment on this proposed approach."

Ok team, what comments, if any, should we have?