[Ground-station] UPSat overview + Open Source Cubesat Workshop

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:20:12 PDT 2018

Excellent question.

This is the second workshop from this community. It is supported by ESA and
Libre Space and several others.

This meeting is entirely devoted to open source cubesat payloads. This is
what we are looking at doing. It's the only gathering of its kind right now
in the world. A large number of the current teams and successful open
source payload builders will be there.

The content is real workshop experience. Small groups, focused on solving
problems and sharing progress and giving support.

If I had known about the first one, I would have done all I could to get us
there.

What do we get out of this?

I am hoping to get out of it a solid concept of what we want to achieve, in
the context of what other groups are doing and sharing. I hope to find out
exactly what we can re-use that gives us the best possible position to
develop something new, especially in the area that we have expertise and
interest.

I believe this is where we need to be to develop the best amateur radio
payload. These are people we need to have in our community, if we want to
succeed.

We bring something important to this workshop, and that is our background,
experience, and identity in amateur radio. Not science, or experimental, or
commercial - but amateur radio. We work from a different set of
assumptions, have different goals, and have a different set of privileges
and freedoms. If we don't speak up and represent and form a voice, then we
miss out. We risk being crowded out by simplistic or commercial solutions.
We have a role here, and that role is not just as a sponge. We can provide
real service, under certain conditions. I believe we should be advocating
our role at meetings and events like this one.

-Michelle W5NYV