[Ground-station] FCC Small-Satellite NPRM

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Jun 15 16:49:17 PDT 2018

We can always expect information asymmetry to be a problem when we're
dealing with the remote surveillance capabilities of an intelligence
agency, be it multinational like NORAD or national.

Thus, California hams are frustrated by their interactions with PAVE PAWS,
which has required drastic power reductions on most Northern California 440
repeaters since its last two upgrades. The Army communications are always
one-way and done on the schedule of their technical visits to PAVE PAWS,
which is undisclosed.

Similarly NORAD doesn't really want us to know within an order of magnitude
what they can track, so they simply don't want us to launch anything that
is small and has a well-defined radar profile. At the same time, because
the prevention of collisions is important, they've cataloged what may be a
wire-tie. But we don't know what it is for sure.

    Bruce