[Ground-station] Microsoft purchases GitHub

Steve Conklin steve at conklinhouse.com
Mon Jun 11 07:08:30 PDT 2018

Consensus among the experts I know (and they're probably all wrong but . .
. ) is that there are probably two main reasons for this.

1. Microsoft is doing this as part of their effort to dominate the
developer hiring pipeline - By pairing github with the acquisition of
linkedin, they'll be able to build something bigger.

2. There will probably eventually be a "deploy to azure" automation
pipeline integrated into github, with automated build, test, and packaging
for Windows and Linux. This would open up cross-platform app development,
but (most importantly), exclude Apple products. If you factor in app store
integration, you get something pretty close to what Canonical tried to do
for Linux with Launchpad.

(2) Might actually benefit us, if it happens.