[Ground-station] Radiation Susceptibility

Tom Clark tom.k3io at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:41:25 PDT 2018

On 6/1/2018 2:19 PM, Bruce Perens via Ground-Station wrote:
> Bdale,
>
> Do you happen to know where there's a copy of Karl's old proposal?
>
> Finding a viable part is important. There are consumer or industrial
> parts that we may choose to trust based upon someone else's testing
> and our understanding of their architecture. The most common seems to
> be a Microsemi (formerly Actel) part that is reported upon here:
> https://www.hevs.ch/media/document/1/20130612_cof_igloo-for-cubesat_1.pdf
> This goes to 40 krad.
> Parts that are specified as rad-hard seem to start in the $2000s and
> go up from there. Do you know of less expensive ones?

I learned from Jan King (W3GEY) way back in the Microsat (i.e. AO-16)
era some 30 years ago that 74AC logic was intrinsically good for ~200+
kRad total dosage and 74HC parts were good to around 100 kRad. The
manufacturing processes also rendered plastic 74AC/HC parts to have good
intrinsic vibration & thermal reliability.

Anything that used a charge pump in it went bad at 20-25 kRad, including
DRAM and the clock circuitry in a number of small microprocessors.

We (AMSAT) also did a lot of testing on radiation susceptibility using
medical x-ray machines cranked up to levels associated with "the patient
is already dead so lets make certain that the remains are sterile";
this including using x-ray machines associated with large animal
veterinarians. As I recall some of the testing was done by Stacey
Mills, W4SM and some by Paul ???, VE6???.

Jan King was a font of information on a lot of Co60 testing done by
industry (especially @ Orbital Sciences). That's how we learned about
the "magic" of 74AC logic.

73 de Tom, K3IO

---