[Ground-station] 0 dBFS conventions?

Stephen Hicks, N5AC steve at flexradio.com
Mon Jul 9 05:40:58 PDT 2018

At FlexRadio we use 0dBFS := sqrt (i^2+q^2) = max number space.  So for a
16-bit ADC, this would be sqrt(i^2) or sqrt(q^2) which is i or q at max
numerical value which would be 32767 for a converter in signed mode (most
converters can output in different number spaces).  I believe this comes
out to the same definition as Ettus.

When we convert to float in baseband, this value is assigned to 1.0F.
Google just told that this value is also 17.222C as I was typing, but I'm
pretty sure Google is wrong :-)

Steve

--

Stephen Hicks, N5AC
VP Engineering
Email: steve at flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com
Click Here for PGP Public Key
<https://sites.google.com/a/flex-radio.com/pgp-public-keys/n5ac>

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems