[Ground-station] The other kind of ground

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:35:35 PDT 2018

question on a related topic........I'm getting a lot of EMI/RFI from
Ethernet from some PoE powered cameras (1Ge rated, but I'm sure they're
not running that fast, maybe a 1 or 2 Mbps per camera).  The primary
band that I notice it on is VHF which almost completely trashes the
spectrum.  I've got 3 cameras with pretty long shielded cat5e runs, with
shielded RJ45 tips, connected to an NVR.  NVR chassis is connected to
the rack single point ground which is then connected via strap to the
shack singlepoint ground out to a grounding network of ground rods.

I was able to isolate the problem to primarily the NVR and 3 cameras
(everything off, spectrum looks great, turn on NVR, no cameras
connected, spectrum is trash, plug in camera 1 = more trash, camera2 =
even more trash, camera3 = most trash).  Other ethernet devices in the
mix also produce a small amount of RFI (like a serial to ethernet
converter) but those runs are much shorter and the affect is almost
negligible (though I would still like to remove the effects if
possible).  The runs to the cameras are maybe 80+ ft or more.
Kind of annoying because if I want to do 'clean' 2m demos, I have to
shutoff the NVR, which hurts the overall demo because now I can't
monitor the antenna motion with the video feed.

Not sure if the junk is getting into the front end of the receive system
and propagating back to the SDR or if its something coupling in through
the rack.

Any tips/hints/tricks/ etc. on how to get rid of the 2m trash or at
least how to troubleshoot would be welcome.  I've looked into Ferrite
solutions, but not really sure the right place to put them, and not sure
if that would kill the actual ethernet performance.  Are there any
particular ferrite type filters I could build for this?  are there
existing filters on the market for this?

I realize optical would be the way to go, but 1) I loose the PoE feature
(but could run separate DC power to each camera, so doable) and 2) can't
afford the converters at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

-Zach, KJ4QLP

--