[Ground-station] Balloon Launch - experiments?

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Sun Apr 22 21:10:59 PDT 2018

Last note for today....I promise.

We've flown the Adafruit Ultimate GPS on multiple flights in the recent
past and they are good up to at least 100k ft.  Breakout available
here:  https://www.adafruit.com/product/746.  It also has a 1 PPS
output. (don't forget the external antenna)

In our case we kept things super simple and married the GPS to 'gpsd'
and then wrote a simple little standalone python script that launched on
boot that logged the NMEA strings to a file. Allowed for 1 Hz
timestamped balloon positions.

As a byproduct......having the GPS based timestamp in a log that also
had the 'OS' time stamp (from the python 'datetime' module) allowed us
to figure out the time offset between the computer clock and true time
(OS time was wildy wrong without NTP or an RTC to keep it on track
through power cycles and when disconnected from internet).  We're
experimenting with updating the computer clock automatically by tying
gpsd and ntpd together...along with the 1 PPS reference from the above
GPS.....but not there yet.

Above is relevant to reversing out the filename timestamps for the IQ
recordings (that would come from the OS and be wrong) so that you could
get the true UTC time for the recordings........

I'm done for tonight!

-Zach

Research Associate
Aerospace Systems Lab
Ted & Karyn Hume Center for National Security & Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Work Phone: 540-231-4174
Cell Phone: 540-808-6305