[Ground-station] SBMS and terrestrial deployment

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:52:32 PST 2022

A few of us are going up to the San Bernardino Microwave Society meeting
tonight. We will be working towards installing P4DX beacons and
transponders in Los Angeles in a "meeting before the meeting".

I think we would all really like to see gear go on the air (terrestrial
deployment) in the very near future, possibly before DEFCON.

If you have any durable weatherproof enclosures, to go up on a pole or
tower, then please consider donating them to ORI. We could use them to put
together beacons (and transponders). These would be distributed to as many
places as will take them, alongside the narrowband microwave beacon project
from SBMS.

The exact bill of materials for these deployments will vary depending on
where they go. Some sites have very stringent rules about filtering and
some sites do not. This alone can cause the BOM to double in cost.

Thank you to everyone that has helped with this part. Working with SBMS has
been a very good experience.

-Michelle Thompson